Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that can affect individuals while they sleep. It is the process of irregular breathing patterns that disrupt your normal sleep routines. Oftentimes, it is the result of central sleep apnea, which is caused by brain signal failure, or obstructive sleep apnea, which is caused by blockages in your airways.
Listed below are some keys to preventing sleep apnea:
– Common disorders such as allergies and sinus problems can contribute to the presence of sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is extremely common in individuals who suffer from a deviated septum and other similar types of nasal blockage or obstructions.
– Various genetic irregularities can increase your risk for sleep apnea, including an enlarged tongue, oversized tonsils, or even a small-sized jaw relative to your mouth.
– Genetics can play an enormous role in the presence or development of sleep apnea, especially if you have an abundant family history of it.
– Males are often at the uppermost risk for sleep apnea.
– Individuals over the age of forty are at the highest risk for sleep apnea.
If you are suffering from an oral health disorder such as sleep apnea, Dr. Jeff Davidson and our team at Mountain Peak Dental will make sure that your smile is properly treated. To schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning at our dentist office in Hamilton, Montana, please contact us at 406-363-4010. A healthy smile is a happy smile!